V/ Puthukkulam M.V. is situated in Puthukkulam, Saasthirikoolankulam about 8 km away from Vavuniya town. Being the leading school in the North Zone of Vavuniya, this school has a long history.
Though it is herd that this school was started by Kanthar Udayar generation in 1911, the written sources of the commencement of this school that we possess were from 1916.
In 1916 the school was first started as a preliminary school and the head master was Mr.S.M.Paulpillai. Though he tried to register this school under the government as a government school by sending a letter on 27.07.1917 to Mr.B.Denhem, the Director of Education in Sri Lanka at that time, it was unsuccessful and the application was rejected on the reason of low number students of the school. Therefore, the school was continued to be under the administration of private people and with the co-operation of public the teachers taught without salary.
After the head master Mr.S.M.Paulpillai, Mr.S.M.Arunachalam (12.05.1921 – 05.10.1930) and Mr.G.G.Gnanapragasam (06.10.1930 – 31.12.1932) served as head masters of the school. In 1930, the government took over the school and the grades were increased up to 6. The number of students at that time was about 40. They were from the same village and neighboring villages as well. After the assumption of duty of Mr.K.Vallipuram in 1933, the school gradually began to develop. In 1936, for the first time a principal quarters was built. In 1953, Mr.M.Kathirkamu became the principal and after that in1956 Mr.P.Sadadchara Iyar was appointed as the principal. During his period, due to flood the school faced displacement and after that the school was decided to be built at the Puthukkulam junction of the Iranaiyiluppaikulam road under the guidance of Mr.S.Sivagnanam, the Government Agent of Vavuniya. Then with the effort and request of Mr.T.Sivasithamparam, the Member of Parliament of Vavuniya the school was established with a single thatched hut at the exact place where the present school is situated. With head master Mr.K.Vaithiyalingam some teachers served to a student population about 130.
In 1964, though it was decided by the government to build up a permanent building, only half a contribution was offered by the government while the rest was by the public and their ceaseless effort. During this period, the number of grades was increased up to G.C.E. (O/L) and the school was functioning under the head of Mr.S.Kumaresaiyar with 6 teachers and 200 students. In 1965, five students sat for G.C.E. (O/L) exam for the first time. After that in 1968, the villagers brought a Sivan statue and located it near the school and this has now been established as the popular Sivapuram Sivan Temple.
In 1970, the school administration was temporarily handed over to principal Mr.N.Kumarasingam and in 1972 Mr.S.Satkunasingam was appointed as the permanent principal. The school showed a rapid development during his period. Still many witness the educational development of the school during his period. He was lovingly called by all as ‘Periya vaathiyar’ and his service in the school was eminent and unforgettable. During his period the name of the school also was changed as Puthukkulam Upper Secondary school from Puthukkulam G.T.M.S.
In 1987, under the cluster administrative reforms brought in the education system, our school was promoted as Cluster School and Mr.S.Satkunasingam was transferred and Mr.K.Jeevaratnam was appointed as the principal but he was killed while he was returning from Principals’ meeting held in the Education Department of Vavuniya. After that Mr.I.Rasaratnam, Bachelor of Art was appointed as the principal of this school as well as the cluster principal. During his period, for the first time in this school G.C.E. (A/L) was started with 5 students in 1988. The school was promoted as 1C School as well as Mahavidyalayam in the same year. Along with the progress of the standard of the school, the location of the school also began to develop with electricity, transport and telecommunication facilities.
As the school was developing rapidly unfortunately it had to face a great catastrophe. In 1990, due to the civil war the school displaced and was functioning in V/Kidachoori G.T.M.S. for about 2 years. The school was tried to be brought back to its previous position after 1993. During this period Mr.I.Rasaratnam got study leave and went to Jaffna University to continue his higher education. Then Mr.M.Jeyatharan was appointed as the principal of this school. During his period, again the students joined in the G.C.E. (A/L). But after 2 years he got transfer and Mr.R.Inthirarasa was appointed as the principal in 1997. During his period, two students, Mr.P.Logenthiran and Miss.S.Kumuthini were selected to the university and add colours to the school.
Again in 1997, the school was displaced due to civil war and was attached to Kalmadhu G.T.M.S. In 1998, Mr.R.Inthirarasa was transferred to Vavuniya Divisional Office and Mr.T.Amirthalingam assumed duty as the principal. During this period there were about 300 students and 8 teachers. It is noticeable that during his period 17 students sat for G.C.E.(A/L) and all of them got through the exam and among them 8 students were selected to university as well. These students were taught by the teachers Miss.V.Annalaxmy and Mr.S.Balachandran. In 1999 the school was brought under government controlled area and it started to function in the native place from 19.03.1999 onward. The school was re-started with 8 teachers and 138 students and developed gradually with the help of government and non-government organizations. Now it has become a challenging school to the other town schools in all the fields such as education, sports etc.
The annual examination results and the results of the competitions announce our students’ eligibility and efficiency in 27.07.1917 as well as co-curricular activities. After 1998 results, 4 students in each 2001 and 2002 and 5 students in 2003 have been selected to university. The results of grade 5 scholarship exams and the G.C.E. (O/L) exams also indicate the growth of the school.
Due to the lack of physical and human resources, there was only Art stream in G.C.E. (A/L) until 2003. The commencement of Commerce stream in the G.C.E. (A/L) in 2003 was also a milestone in the successful journey of the school.
If the field of sports is considered, it also shows a great advancement. Students showed their abilities in Zonal, District, Provincial and National level sports competitions too. In this way the years of 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 can be mentioned as some milestones in the growth of the field of sports.
Further, the students’ achievements in the events such as Speech, Debate and Dance in Tamil Language Competitions are also some facts that added colours to the school.
Further, the Scouts started in 2000 and St.John’s Ambulance Service started in 2002 are also functioning successfully. The subjects based associations such as Tamil Forum, Hindu Association, Science & Mathematics Union, English Forum, Agriculture Union, Physical Education Association and Christian Association also function to help the students to expose their abilities and creativity. Along with these, the Parents Teachers Association and Old Students’ Association also help their maximum for the growth of the students’ education and the development of the school as well.
The period between 1999 and 2004 was noticeable for the rapid development of the school. In the later part of 1999, 2 buildings were constructed with the assistance from Seva Lanka Foundation. After that a Science Laboratory and a Teachers’ Quarters also were constructed with the fund allocated by Ministry of Education and Provincial Council. Day by day the number of admission of students to the school was increasing and to cope up with the number of student, school needed more building. So a part of the neighboring land of the school was bought with the help of parents. In 2000, with the aid of Resettlement and Rehabilitation Authority of North, a 2 storeyed building and toilets were constructed. Again in 2001, 2 Teachers’ Quarters, toilets and pump-wells also were built with the aid of the same authority. In 2002, a well equipped library was constructed under General Education Plan – II. Then with the aid of NECORD, a three storeyed building and a food distribution room were constructed. After that with the fund released by Hon. Member of Parliament Mr. N.Sivasakthi Ananthan, a boundary wall around the school was built and books were purchased to the library.
With the view of developing school further, under DSA Project, a photocopier and a scanner were purchased in 2003 and 2004 respectively. Further, a Computer Resource Center and a Computer Learning Center also have been constructed under SEM Project and are functioning successfully. Along with them an Audio Video Room and an Activity Room also have been built and are functioning well. Also this school has been absorbed into the Light House Project of the English Unit of the Ministry of Education and the project is carried out to enhance English knowledge of the students. Also the school has been promoted as a 1AB school since 2004.
In this way the school is now equipped with all the necessary facilities and functions under the guidance of the principal as a leading educational institute in Vavuniya North Zone with 1100 students and 104 teachers.
Courtesy: - Record Room of Vavuniya South Zonal Education Office.
Records of V/Puthukkulam M.V.
Ему снилась еда, которую "Скачать мини оперу на телефон на русск"он ел последний раз.
Я рад, что ты согласна со мной.